” What I ask for the Negro is not benevolence, not pity, not sympathy, but simply justice. [Applause.] The American people have always been anxious to know what they shall do with us. Gen. Banks was distressed with solicitude as to what he should do with the Negro. Everybody has asked the question, and they learned to ask it early of the abolitionists, “What shall we do with the Negro?” I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us! If the apples will not remain on the tree of their own strength, if they are wormeaten at the core, if they are early ripe and disposed to fall, let them fall! I am not for tying or fastening them on the tree in any way, except by nature’s plan, and if they will not stay there, let them fall. And if the Negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone! If you see him on his way to school, let him alone, don’t disturb him! If you see him going to the dinner table at a hotel, let him go! If you see him going to the ballot- box, let him alone, don’t disturb him! [Applause.] If you see him going into a work-shop, just let him alone,–your interference is doing him a positive injury. Gen. Banks’ “preparation” is of a piece with this attempt to prop up the Negro. Let him fall if he cannot stand alone! If the Negro cannot live by the line of eternal justice, so beautifully pictured to you in the illustration used by Mr. Phillips, the fault will not be yours, it will be his who made the Negro, and established that line for his government. [Applause.] Let him live or die by that. If you will only untie his hands, and give him a chance, I think he will live. “
COPY RIGHT/PERMISSIONSMark Hodges and Notmanynoble Blog, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use of this material is prohibited. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO POSTS AND PAGES WRITTEN FOR APOLOGETIC PURPOSES, FEEL FREE TO USE THESE AT WILL, THATS WHAT THEY'RE HERE FOR, excerpts from personal vignettes may be used, provided credit is given to author and blog with appropriate direction to the original content.
1988 San Antonio Rescue
- 32,594 views
- Author Bio
- Books Available
- Carbon Datings Shakey Foundations
- Classical Darwinism; Natural Selection
- Haeckel’s Fraud and Homology
- Homology Without Ancestry
- Is God Unfair?
- Lyell’s Geology; short version
- Lyell’s Geology; the longer version
- Modern Day Prophets?
- Of Mice and Men; DNA Sequences Compared
- Radio-isotope Dating; Questions and Answers
- Radiometric Dating
- Scientific Censure of the Fossil Record
- Spontaneous Generation
- The Ancient Irish Kings
- The Anglo-Saxon Kings
- The Blood of the Prophet
- The German Higher Critics: How Rational Were They?
- The Historical Roots of Modern Science
- The IPCC’s Ice Core Data Reviewed
- The Logical Nonsequitur of Roe vs Wade
- The Science vs. Religion Strawman
- The Smithsonian Rebukes the Nat’l Geographic
- The Truth About Scientific Consensus
- The Welsh Chronicles
- The Worlds Bloodiest Religion
- Three Ways to Destroy a Nation
- Was America formed to be a Secular Non-theistic Nation